Sunday, December 30, 2012

Congratulations, Maine!



This is from Portland, Maine, where city hall opened at midnight to start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples when it was finally legal to do so, Dec. 29, 2012.

Note how normal this is. Everyone is happy, filled with love, just like every other marriage ceremony you've ever witnessed. How could you presume to judge for someone else, telling other adults who they can and can't marry? How could you imagine that it was even any of your business?

I'm not going to marry a man. I'm not going to marry anyone, in fact. But I'm always happy to see other people being happy. Some of these marriages won't last - many marriages don't - but so what?

And the craziest thing about this, the absolute craziest, is that the right-wing claims to be "defending marriage." Isn't that just the looniest thing ever? All of these people want to get married. They want to join that institution, not destroy it. If anything, this strengthens marriage. And it strengthens civilization, too.

Congratulations, Maine. I wish Nebraska was this civilized.

3 comments:

Jim Harris said...

This film brings tears to my eyes. It's great to see some kind of progress in this crazy country. I can't wait until we have this kind of freedom and equality in Tennessee and all the rest of the states.

Bill Garthright said...

Yes, it's kind of an antidote to the video I posted next, isn't it, Jim? I wish I could post more optimistic videos, I really do. But I'm glad there's some good news, at least.

Jim Harris said...

I am reading a history of the Book of Revelations by Elaine Pagels. Christians have always been crazy. Have always used their beliefs to control politics. We live under their oppression. But slowly things are changing.