Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Journey to Atheism: Born Again



A month ago, I posted the initial video in this series. This is #16 and I thought it was interesting enough to embed it, too (although all of them have been quite interesting, so far).

This clip describes her recovery from a brain injury and her realization that believing in her heart, or from her gut, isn't a valid way to make judgments. As I say, it's quite good.

Myself, I've often wondered how people can believe we have a spirit or soul that can live outside our body, when brain injuries can completely change a person's personality. That's been demonstrated often enough to make the inextricable link between our mind and our flesh-and-blood brain obvious, I'd think.

And although I've never had an experience like this, I imagine that it would be very frightening. I applaud her courage in coming to grips with it, and even more, her courage in posting these videos describing her journey from Pentecostal faith to, eventually, atheism.

1 comment:

Jim Harris said...

I have experienced different mind states due to drugs and disease and it does make you doubt the concept of soul. Our minds are very fragile and they are completely tied to our physical bodies.

The is a very eloquent young woman. I like to see how she's working out her own philosophy. I'm glad you have posted them. Someday I'd like to listen to the entire set.