Saturday, February 27, 2010

Introduction

Just what the world needs, another blog, huh? That's what I've been thinking for years. So why start blogging now? Well, this is for me, not for anyone else. I often post in discussion groups at Yahoo, and I frequently comment at other websites. I'm always browsing the Internet, finding things I'd like to share. When it comes to the Internet, the hard part is finding things again (assuming that you were able to find them the first time). So I figure this would be a good place to consolidate everything.

The title might seem egotistical, or even hilarious. That's OK. You don't have to find these things interesting, it's enough that I do. I welcome others here, but I'm not creating this to attract eyeballs. I welcome comments, too. But I don't expect to get many, if any at all. The world doesn't need another blog, but maybe I do. That's the idea here.

Who am I? Does it really matter? My name is Bill Garthright (I frequently use my initials, WCG, online) and I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA. That's all I feel like sharing right now. I have a lot of interests, but they vary all the time. I'll probably post about books, mostly science fiction, but other genres, too. And I've become a huge fan of computer games, PC games, though not all kinds.

And I'm a skeptic, meaning that I require evidence for my beliefs and that I understand the scientific method to be the best way we've yet discovered to determine the truth, and to separate reality from wishful thinking. Inevitably, that makes me an atheist and an agnostic. I'm not a scientist, but I'm fascinated by science, and also by history, economics, politics, and... well, just about everything else.

I hope to post links to interesting posts and articles elsewhere. In fact, I've got several in mind that I discovered recently. There's a lot of good stuff online, just no time to find - let alone read - it all. Feel free to skip my monologues, but you might want to check out some of the links I post. Well, all that is entirely up to you.

1 comment:

Gregg Garthright said...

Wow, great blog!

Are you sure that isn't your real picture? I could have sworn it was......