Thursday, October 30, 2014

Democalypse 2014


The funny thing - or the sad thing, rather - is that all of these racist white people are descended from immigrants themselves. And I really doubt if their ancestors were all wealthy royalty, giving up their pampered, comfortable lives to start over in the New World.

I know mine weren't. My ancestors weren't prosperous, most of them. They emigrated for different reasons, but they all came here hoping for a better life. And through hard work and plenty of luck - including the extreme good fortune of being born white - they generally found it.

This is just bigotry, nothing more. They're racists. Most of them probably don't understand that - they certainly deny it, like almost all of the racists I've known in my life - but it's true.

And those crazy-ass claims about all the free stuff illegal immigrants get, and how they don't pay taxes? Come on! That's just racism combined with gullibility and politics, nothing more. Racists believe it because they want to believe it.

But you know, there's nothing new about any of this. There were riots in some American cities when the Irish started arriving here in large numbers. Other immigrant groups - even those, like the Irish, who benefited hugely from at least being white - faced bigotry, as well. Now, their descendants are returning the favor, apparently.

Incredible, isn't it? This is America.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

No comments: