Friday, November 4, 2016

Why I'm Voting for Hillary Clinton



Steve Shives is absolutely right, and although I might pick out slightly different issues, I have absolutely no problem with his overall conclusion.

Either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton is going to be our next President of the United States. One or the other. That's just a fact. And if you do anything else other than vote for Clinton, you'll be helping Trump. That, too, is simply a fact.

But even if that wasn't true, I'd vote for Clinton. If any of the Republican candidates had won the nomination, I'd vote for Clinton. If any of the third-party candidates were anything but potential spoilers helping Trump, if any of them had an actual chance of winning the election, I'd vote for Clinton. There's just no question about any of that.

She probably wouldn't be my first choice, if I could pick anyone in America I wanted to be president. But that's just the thing. That's not how democracies work. You have to compromise with other people in a democracy. And that's not a bug; it's a feature.

Incidentally, here's that article at Mother Jones, along with the chart about "Who Lies More," which was developed from the fact-checking of PolitiFact:


None of us are surprised at the top liars on that list, I assume. (I only wish that Louis Gohmert, the dumbest man in Congress, had been included.)

But I have to be.... um, what's the opposite of "impressed"? ... at Michele Bachmann, who doesn't just lie the vast majority of the time, but lies at a "Pants on Fire" level of dishonesty more than one in four times she opens her mouth.

At that, she tells the truth more often than Donald Trump, apparently. Not very often, true, but he seems to find it impossible to say anything that's completely true. Of course, we already knew that, didn't we?

No comments: