Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Relax and enjoy it

From the Huffington Post, via Jerry Coyne (HuffPo is too loony, in certain respects, for me to want to direct you there), comes this radio interview with Sharron Angle, Republican candidate (NV) for U.S. Senate, in which she describes rape and incest as all part of God's plan:

Manders: Is there any reason at all for an abortion?

Angle: Not in my book.

Manders: So, in other words, rape and incest would not be something?

Angle: You know, I’m a Christian and I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each one of our lives and that he can intercede in all kinds of situations and we need to have a little faith in many things.

I'm sure that's comforting to rape victims, knowing that Angle thinks their suffering is actually a good thing, all part of God's plan. (I suppose that preventing a rape would be helping Satan, then?)

Actually, I'd say that shows why we shouldn't allow people to force their own religious beliefs on the rest of us. Angle's weird religious views would be no problem at all if she didn't try to legislate them. She can believe any loony thing she wants, personally. What she can't do - or, rather, what she shouldn't be able to do - is force her own beliefs on other people.

But that's exactly what she intends. So how is that any different than the Taliban?

PS. I also like the comment from Deen:

If your God’s plan includes rape and incest, then I want nothing to do with your God, or you.

No comments: