Sunday, May 20, 2012

Draw Mohammad Day III



Today is the third annual Draw Mohammad Day (or Mohammed, Muhammad,... whatever).

I can't draw, and I really don't have time to mess with it right now (still picking strawberries). And I'm not on Twitter. But I thought I'd post this video clip, at least.

The issue is not about making fun of Islam. Yeah, it's silly, but so are most religions. The issue is about freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Other people have the right to believe whatever they wish and to say whatever they wish, even if it hurts your feelings. Get over it!

If you don't like what I say - and that includes drawings, cartoons, and videos - the civilized response is free speech of your own, not violence or threats of violence. You god must be really, really weak, if he needs you to bully people for him.

The really funny thing about this is that the prohibition was meant to keep Muslims from making graven images, and eventually starting to worship Mohammad instead of Allah. Well, I'm an atheist. You don't have to worry about me worshiping Mohammad!

Indeed, it's the Muslims who get so crazy about this who are doing exactly what the prohibition was meant to counter. These Muslims have started worshiping Mohammad.

Well, I don't care if they worship their morning dump, as long as they respect the freedoms of other people. You can believe anything you want - and try to persuade me to believe it, too - as long as you don't try to force it on anyone else.

No comments: