Wednesday, May 23, 2012

You're goddamn right I care!



I'm a little late in posting this - I'm a little late with everything these days - but I especially liked Steve Oh's remarks here:
I'm going to go over the top the other way. I don't think Obama is politicizing it enough. I think he should be like, he should say, 'You're goddamn right I got bin Laden. Because George W. Bush wasn't going to get him.'

And I'd play the tape of George W. Bush saying, 'Bin Laden? I don't really care about bin Laden. He's not really my concern anymore. I don't really care. I don't think about it.'

I'd play those fucking tapes over and over again, and then I'd play the tape of me - Obama - saying, 'I got him. What now? ... Yeah, I do care. I care! That guy masterminded the worst terrorist attack on our soil, and guess what? I care! I cared the whole time that Bush was in office, and I cared the whole time that I'm in office. I did everything I could to get him, and guess what? I got him!'

Yup, me, too. I like the way this guy thinks. The Republicans had no problem with spiking the football during the Bush years, even when they hadn't accomplished anything at all! Remember that notorious 'Mission Accomplished' banner? No, the mission had not been accomplished (unless the 'mission' was merely to create a photo op for Bush's re-election campaign).

Well, Barack Obama did accomplish the mission. Remember 9/11? That was supposedly our excuse for the invasion of Afghanistan (and, practically speaking, the only reason Bush was able to invade Iraq, even though Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with the attack).

I disagree with Lucas Lilieholm here. Mitt Romney and other Republicans specifically said they would not go into Pakistan to get bin Laden. In fact, they made it a campaign issue in 2008. It wasn't just a casual remark, but a wholesale attempt to criticize Barack Obama on just this issue.

So damn right they should be held accountable for that! Mitt Romney specifically said that he would not do what he's now claiming that any president would have done. He's only doing that because it was successful, of course. If the mission had failed, he'd be saying just the reverse right now.

So he was either lying then or he's lying now. Either way, he should be held accountable for it.

No comments: