Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winter

I grow fruit, as a hobby, so I'm always really busy in the spring and summer. By fall, I'm generally pretty sick of it, but I'll still have a lot to do outdoors.

So I tend to look forward to winter, when I'll have plenty of free time to read, to play computer games, and to get some things done around the house. But you know? It doesn't work out like that.

Oh, sure, I blog a lot more in the winter (I don't know if that's good or bad), but I still can't keep up with my email, and I can't visit all of the good websites I've found over the years. And I can play computer games, but I don't have time to play all I want to play. Besides, games take time away from reading, and vice versa.

My point is that I still can't do everything I want, not even close. And as far as getting anything productive done, well, that comes after everything else. So unless I absolutely have to do something, it tends not to get done at all.

Winter never ends up being what I think it will be. And all too soon, it's over. It won't be long before I have to start pruning my fruit trees - especially if I don't want to get as far behind as I was last year - and winter, for me, will be over.

And I'll wonder where it went. I'll wonder why I didn't get anything productive done. I'll wonder why I read so few books. I'll wonder what happened to all that time I thought I'd have. It just slips away...

Heh, heh. If you're not retired, yourself, you may think I'm crazy. How about all that time when I used to be at work? Or going to work or coming from work? But you know, I swear I'm busier now than I was before I retired. It's crazy, I know, but that's what it feels like.

No comments: