Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Grow a spine!! Lead!


Click to embiggen the cartoon.

I guess I must be part of the Democratic base, because this is what angers me, too. The Democrats whimper, "All lies,... but what am I supposed to do? I'm just a poor little, beaten-down donkey."

"Jesus Christ!," I want to yell, "what's the matter with you? Stand up to the bully!! Grow a spine!! Lead! The Republicans aren't going to like you no matter what you do. But if you won't stand up for our country, no one will like you."

America needs bold leadership, but "bold" and "Democrat" hardly belong in the same sentence. It never used to be this way. So what has happened? We were wild about Barack Obama the candidate because he seemed bold. With every exciting rally, he promised real leadership. But once he got into office, Barack Obama the president turned into... just another Democrat, eager to get along with his enemies.

OK, the Democrats are still far better than the lunatics running the GOP these days (how could anyone be worse?), but that does us little good when the Republicans still have everything their way, even after nearly destroying our country in recent years. Yeah, I'm astounded at the stupidity of the American people, but I'm furious at the Democratic Party. (The Republicans? You know, I just don't expect any better from them, not anymore.)

What's the worse that will happen if Democrats stand up and fight? OK, they might be defeated,... but they're getting their asses handed to them already! (Pardon the pun.) Democrats need to offer an option to America. If it's a choice between complete batshit lunacy and... nothing, the American people are going to go for lunacy. So, dammit, give us a choice!

If you get beat, you get beat. It happens. But you don't stop fighting, no matter what!  Yeah, we keep it legal, of course. We keep it nonviolent. We believe in democracy. We believe in science, in reason, in the marketplace of ideas. Unlike the GOP, we don't stoop to lying. We don't stoop to encouraging bigotry. We don't stoop to mindless fear-mongering. But that doesn't mean we have to be doormats!

I am sick to death of triangulation and poll-watching. I am sick to death of trying to please everyone all of the time (and ending up pleasing nobody). I am sick to death of Democrats refusing to boldly take a stand. Let me tell you something: I don't agree with any politician all of the time, and I don't expect to. I want a representative who'll do what he thinks is right. If I disagree on too many things, he may not get my vote. But at least I'll respect him (and at least I'll listen to him).

I respect Barack Obama for trying to bring this country together. But you don't do it by giving in on everything. Compromise is still possible - if it's possible at all these days - when you stand up and fight for your own side. Any good negotiator knows that that's how you start. You don't give up before you've even started. You compromise as necessary - when you get the other side compromising, too - but the stronger you can make your own case, the better the final outcome will be.

At the very least, you might keep the base fighting with you, instead of giving up in disgust. When your side is so discouraged and dispirited that they won't even bother to vote, what do you expect to happen then? Damn this is frustrating!

No comments: