Monday, November 22, 2010

How TPM got started


You do read Talking Points Memo, don't you? If you have any interest at all in politics, you need to read TPM. They do a great job - informative and entertaining.

Anyway, I meant to post this earlier in the month, but there's an interesting article in the Atlantic about how TPM got started. Here's an excerpt:
Over the years, I've become increasingly convinced that when all is said and done, the significant aspect of my journalism career won't be anything I've written, but the fact that I was present at the creation of Talking Points Memo, Josh Marshall's pioneering blog. ...

The 2000 election--or more precisely, the recount--was a very Josh-friendly event in that it presented a scenario that, on one level, involved all sort of complicated, byzantine rules and procedures that needed figuring out, which was always a fascination and a strong point for him, and on another level offered clear and outrageous examples of conservative bamboozlement and liberal-establishment witlessness, which was another thing that got him going. Looking back, I can see that TPM was destined to start here.

One day, after a morning of working the phones, Josh came out of his office looking as though he'd imbibed more than his usual liter-age of Pepsi One. He was on fire about some travesty of media coverage related to the recount (looking back at his first post--to read it verité-style, click here and scroll to bottom--it must have been about Ted Olson). I remember him pausing and asking Nick and me, "Dude, do you guys think it would be weird if I did a thing like Kaus is doing?" This was in reference to Kausfiles, which had begun the year before. Nick and I shrugged and said that it wouldn't be weird at all. Then, when Josh disappeared back into his office to create what would become Talking Points Memo, Nick and I decided that actually, yes, it would be sort of weird, because who but a fool would write for no money?

I still don't understand how TPM makes any money, but they've got a growing staff, so it must work somehow. And as I say, they do a great job. This isn't just a typical blog. They're journalists. And in many ways, they completely embarrass the mainstream media in their intelligent, professional approach to political news.

If you have any interest at all in politics, this is a website you need to follow.

No comments: