Monday, February 27, 2012

Two years and counting

I started this blog two years ago today. It's been fun. It's still fun. My biggest problem is that I can't stop blogging.

And I still find far more to blog about than I can actually get to. As I noted in my one year anniversary post, I originally worried that I'd run out of topics. The reality has been just the reverse.

At the start, I kept a list of backup topics, things I could use if I ever found myself running short. Heh, heh. That seems so laughable now! I never used a single one of those. In fact, I regularly have to clean out my "temp links" folder of ideas I want to blog about, plan to blog about, but never get done.

I don't have as much to say as in last year's post, though it's interesting to see what's changed and what has stayed the same. The biggest change - and a very welcome one - is that I've got a few more readers now. That whole first year, my return readership - people who'd been here before - didn't increase much at all.


Of course, the more posts I make, the more Google hits I get, but very, very few of those people ever return, if they actually read the post they find here at all. (I have to wonder at some of the Google search terms that direct people here. Often, they don't seem to make any sense.)

Well, at any rate, I still blog for myself. That's why I started, and that's why I continue. But it's good to get readers. And it's even better to get comments. In both respects, this second year has been a definite improvement.


I still wonder about variety. I'd like to have a bigger variety of posts here, although that's actually a negative for attracting readers. I do have a lot of different interests, though it might not seem like that. But in any case, I don't worry about it. I write what I want, when I want.

As in my first year, it's been mostly politics. I think I'm posting more about religion now, too, though that's probably because religion is politics, at least in America these days. Even science has become political, with the entire Republican Party coming down firmly against it.


I no longer post political cartoons every day. I don't even read them every day. Just no time. And I rarely post a "Quote of the Day" at all, not these days. Well, although that started out as a quote - and not actually a blog post - it turned into a post where I simply didn't add my own comments. That was really the only difference between those and any other post. And since I pretty much always have comments,... :)

I haven't been reading lately, so I haven't posted any book reviews for awhile. I will, eventually, but I don't know when that will be. The thing is, this blog is fun, and I don't want to change that. I don't want to turn it into work, a chore that must be done. That's the reason I haven't been reading, too. I love to read, but I just haven't felt like it lately.

If you particularly like some things here, or dislike them, I'd like to hear it. I really would. But honestly, I'm not sure that it will make too much difference in what I post. I know that some of you dislike my game posts - Gregg, this means you - but I enjoy writing them, so you'll just have to skip those. Just be thankful that I don't start describing my dreams. :)


But I'm not completely immune to the desire to have readers, either. I've really enjoyed having more readers this year, compared to my first. And I enjoy replying to intelligent comments. (Actually, I enjoyed replying to "Your [sic] an idiot," too, but I would have preferred a more detailed description of my shortcomings.)

So if you especially like some particular kinds of posts here, I'm likely to post more of them. I'm only human, after all.


If you want shorter posts, I feel your pain. I'm long-winded. I'm verbose. I know I am. It's a personal failing. But,... what can I say? I don't care enough about it to change. I write these posts for me. And I like to examine things in depth.

Spring will be here soon, and I'll have to cut way back on blog posts then. I'll have to try, at any rate. This is just lots of fun. And it's addictive. It's really hard to stop.

If you're still reading this, thanks for being here. You've made my second year even more fun than the first!

5 comments:

Jim Harris said...

I like your posts with funny videos and funny political cartoons. I send my friends here to read them, but I don't know if they do. I tell them you're a good source of political humor and attacks on the Republicans. Every once in a while I copy a bunch of the cartoons to an email and send them out to my list of people who like funny internet stuff.

Of course I like your atheist stuff too, since I'm a fellow unbeliever.

And even though I don't play video games I like to read your blogs about gaming. I wish I was a gamer.

Overall I just like your take on things since you're so logical.

If you were going to explore new territory you might write about how liberals could be more successful.

Gregg Garthright said...

Because I regularly read your blog on three different computers (four if you count my smart phone), I represent a large proportion of your readership.

I enjoy your blog - it's one of the first things I look at when I have a few minutes. I like the political stuff best - probably because I agree with you most of the time. As you noted, I don't have a great deal of interest in your gaming posts, but I'll still skim over those quickly.

Of the handfull of blogs I read on a regular basis, yours is my favorite. I think you do a great job - keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogday to you.... I think the one verse is enough. Well done Bill, Keep up the good work.

Chimeradave said...

Happy Birthday "That's Interesting." Your blog is definitely a part of my morning routine...and my afternoon routine...and my evening...Let's just say I look at it everyday!

Bill Garthright said...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I was busy yesterday, but I wanted to note my anniversary. As I say, it's been fun. And it's still just as much fun as when I started.