Thursday, July 19, 2012

Read all this, and then we'll talk


Coincidentally, I received a similar response in my local newspaper recently, so I thought that was funny enough to post this cartoon.

Sure, there are plenty of books written about this stuff. You could probably spend your entire life trying to get through all of them. But how about just telling me in your own words what's so convincing about them?

If you understand them, you should be able to explain the argument well enough, don't you think? And if you don't understand them, then what made them so convincing to you? Was it just that they agreed with what you want to believe?

If you've got a book you think I'd like, then by all means let me know. I love books, I really do. But if you're trying to convince me of something, just tell me. After all, if you don't understand your own argument, I think I can safely dismiss it and save myself a whole bunch of time.

Wouldn't you agree?

3 comments:

Jeff said...

And here are the penalties:

Science: WCG, 5 minutes for fighting
Religion: Ratonis, 5 minutes for fighting

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS0HpbZDTYs

Bill Garthright said...

No fighting, Jeff, just a rational discussion.

I'm hoping he'll reply to me, since he claims to be so well-read. Does he have a good reason for his faith, after all that? I'd certainly be interested in hearing one.

Jeff said...

When it's this friggin' hot, take the hockey metaphors when you can get them.