Friday, August 31, 2012

Lyin' Ryan

The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
RNC 2012 - The Road to Jeb Bush 2016 - Paul Ryan's Speech
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook


The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
RNC 2012 - The Road to Jeb Bush 2016 - Paul Ryan's Convenient Truths
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook


The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
RNC 2012 - The Road to Jeb Bush 2016 - We Can Change That
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook

OK, I blogged about this yesterday, but come on! By all rights, this should be a major scandal for months and months yet.

And I really have to wonder about this. As an atheist, I care about the truth. The truth matters to me. However, it clearly doesn't matter to these people in the slightest.

Of course, we atheists can't be moral, because we don't have a god telling us that it's OK to lie whenever we want, right?

Note that Etch-A-Sketch Romney is a Mormon and Lyin' Ryan a Catholic. And it seems to me that the Bible used to contain something called the Ten Commandments, one of which prohibited bearing false witness.

Since we atheists don't have those kinds of rules imposed by dogma, we're thought to be immoral and unethical. But I would be embarrassed to lie like this. I would think it wrong. Furthermore, if the only arguments I had were lies, I'd start to wonder if my positions might be wrong.

But Republicans who loudly insist that America is a Christian nation are just fine with bearing false witness. If it's a matter of their political ambition, lying is no problem whatsoever - not with their leaders and not with the party rank-and-file who make excuses for them.

Still think I need the Bible to make me moral? Ha!

Below the fold, I'll embed Stephen Colbert's take on this:

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Paul Ryan's Misleading GOP Convention Speech
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

No comments: