Saturday, August 18, 2012

"The Jennifer Morgue" by Charles Stross

(cover image from Amazon.com)

The Jennifer Morgue (2006) is James Bond meets Cthulhu - almost literally, in this case.

If you've read any of the other stories by Charles Stross about the "Laundry," you'll know what to expect (see my review of the previous book). I really don't have a whole lot to say about this one. (I can hear the sighs of relief already!)

True, there's a lot more James Bond in this book (in the Caribbean, no less), and a lot less Dilbert. And I didn't find this one to be so ostentatiously clever. But it's still the same characters - the main characters, at least - and still the same world. And it's still lots of fun.

The first story you read - he's written both novels and shorter fiction in this series - is likely to be your favorite, just because the situation is so unique. The others are just more of the same. But as long as they stay entertaining, I'll probably keep reading them.

However, they don't make me think, so I find I don't have any comments to make. This is just humorous fantasy fiction, exciting enough to keep things interesting. It really is James Bond meets Cthulhu. It's clever and it's fun.

What more could you want?

No comments: