Sunday, January 6, 2013

Blog changes

FYI, I made a few changes to the Pages section of my blog (at the right, just below my profile). I removed the page of series posts - since I haven't been adding to them recently - and replaced it with a page about skepticism and another with links to posts about PC games (similar to my page of book reviews).

In neither case are these complete. If you want every post I've written about books, games, or skepticism (or religion), use the tags ("labels") just below the Pages section. But the appropriate page would be easier if you're looking for a specific topic.

Note that the series posts are still there. The Non-belief series is simply listed under Skepticism, and the Great Games series under Computer Games. (Duh!) I'm not sure if I'll continue with the latter series, though, since my memory is fading when it comes to the games I played decades ago.

PS. I made a lot of changes and added a lot of links. So please let me know if you find any problems.

2 comments:

Gregg Garthright said...

There's no difference on my iPad, so I looked on my office computer.
There's not a big difference there, either - but I don't really look at your profile (I know way too much about you already). I think what you've done makes sense, and will probably be useful for new readers, who haven't had the chance to read all your posts.

I particularly like the book review section - it's nice to be able to easily find an author, to see if you've done a review. The hard part will be keeping that page updated (I assume it has to be maintained manually, right?).

I'm not a gamer, so I'll most likely never use that link (but it's well-done, too).

I'd love it if you had similar pages on other topics - religion, politics, etc - although I suspect that would get really hard to maintain.

Bill Garthright said...

Re. those "problems" I asked about, I meant mostly bad links, Gregg, since I couldn't test all of them. I didn't change the profile hardly at all.

But I find that the book review section helps me, too, since that way I can easily find them again. In fact, that's part of the reason why I made a similar page for computer games.

It would be harder for other topics, since they don't have titles that fit so neatly in alphabetical order. However, I was going to suggest that you do something like that for your home repair posts - and maybe for your real estate posts, too.

At first, tags ("labels") work fine. But once you accumulate a bunch of posts in a general topic like that, it gets harder to find the one you want, even when you remember reading it (or writing it).

For me, I can't think of another page that would be useful. I mean, I've got nearly a thousand posts about politics, but how would I arrange something like that? They really don't fit into neat categories.