Sunday, March 3, 2013

UnReal World is now free


I've mentioned UnReal World before (here, for example), and I've been meaning to write up my latest play of the game, if I ever get back to it (just too many games and not enough time). But now I see that it's free to play.

The game used to be shareware, and you could always play it for awhile, before deciding if it was worth the minimal cost - as low as $3 for the current version only - to continue playing. (It was!) But now, the developer has decided to make it free (donations requested, but not required).

Why? " Foremostly to keep up hasty release pace. Massive AI, end-game and graphics improvements are underway and I'd like to keep releasing new versions whenever substantial new features are up and running. Shortly: less licensing, more development."

Already, he's released version 3.16, when I paid $3 for version 3.15 just two months ago, so development does seem to be increasing. Note that he's been working on the game for 20 years, and this is his only source of income, "just like for the vast majority of the past two decades."

At any rate, if you want to give the game a try, the price is certainly right! It's a turn-based wilderness survival simulation set in Iron Age Finland. Check out my earlier post for more details.

Or check here for posts on other games, sorted alphabetically.

No comments: