Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Earth's land mammals by weight

(xkcd)

This is mind-blowing, isn't it? (Click on the image to embiggen, if you wish.) We are one species of mammal. Yet our livestock (which we raise) and ourselves pretty much crowd out every other species which has no less of a claim to our planet than we do.

Well, unless 'might makes right,' of course. But can't we manage to leave some room for our relatives?

The worst thing is that we are still growing in number. We aren't even smart enough to decide that enough is enough - not until environmental destruction forces us to stop, I guess. I don't know. I just thought this was an incredible graphic.

4 comments:

Jim Harris said...

That is mind blowing and horrific. I wonder if we all went vegetarian and did away with cattle, how much land could be given over to wildlife?

Bill Garthright said...

I don't know, Jim. Some land is more suited to ranching than farming, and we'd still need food. And I have my doubts that we'd let wildlife have any more of the land, anyway.

If you think this is horrific, look at what we're doing to our oceans! Together, it's pretty depressing.

jeff725 said...

I'm trying to do my part to help alleviate the excess weight.

Since July 2009, I've lost almost 100 lbs. Nothing fancy exercise-wise, just walking a treadmill 4 days a week and swimming on Fridays and Sundays.

I don't eat that much beef. At or slightly under a pound a week (compared to 63.5 pounds annually by the average American as of 2007)

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/economy/2008-11-14-3913750537_x.htm

I don't know how much of a dent I'm making in the overall weight of humanity and/or cattle, but every little bit helps, I guess.

Bill Garthright said...

Wow! Nice job, Jeff. I'm impressed!

I've been doing a lot of walking this winter (so much that my feet are giving me problems now) - mostly to alleviate some back problems, but I wouldn't mind losing some weight, too.

But although my back has been feeling better, I haven't lost an ounce of weight. Funny, huh? I guess you have to stop eating so much in order to do that. Heh, heh. Well, I'm not that eager to lose weight. :)

Anyway, congratulations! That's a real accomplishment!