Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Minecraft home


Here's my latest Minecraft home (click on the images to embiggen). It's on top of a tall cliff - in fact, I was going to build a house with several stories, but the game wouldn't let me build higher than the clouds. (That's something new, I think.)

My wheat farm is to the bottom left, and I've got a couple of animal pens to the south, on the other side of the bridge. I started this game on a previous version, when livestock continued to spawn during the game, so I'm a bit short of animals now.

And this part of my world is so full of sheer cliffs that it's hard to lead animals up here, too.


Here's the north side of my home, at night in a thunderstorm (that's why the clouds look black). I probably should have waited for a clear night to take a picture, huh?

At any rate, it shows the glass-enclosed elevator (ladder, really, though it feels like an elevator), leading down to my boat dock. In all of these pictures, you can see the moss hanging from the topmost cliff, since this whole area is filled with marshy terrain.

I wanted a world with cliffs, because I was planning from the start to build a clifftop home. But this area has almost no flat ground, and what little there is contains marsh or desert, with a lot of water everywhere. So far, I haven't found any continents.

But I haven't explored too much yet, and that's something I really need to do.


This is looking at my house from the southwest, still at night, during that same thunderstorm. As you can see, the terrain is nothing but cliffs, pretty much.

I tend to get so involved with building that I forget about exploration. And by the time I get this far, I start thinking about creating a different world. Heh, heh. Yeah, I'm always beginning games, without getting too far in them.

Incidentally, if you're thinking about playing Minecraft for the first time, you might want to check out this video tutorial. Note that there's no tutorial in the game, and this guy starts things out with the most basic stuff.

You'll still need the Minecraft wiki bookmarked, though. You can make all sorts of things in the game if you know how, but it can be frustrating to rely on trial and error. And even experienced players can't always remember everything.

5 comments:

AJ said...

What's in the box by the wheat farm?

Bill Garthright said...

Seeds, and a hoe. And some tree saplings, I think.

I keep the food - wheat, chicken, pork, beef, fish, etc.- in the kitchen, and crafting supplies in the basement. But it's always nice to store things close to where I'll be using them.

AJ said...

Very nice work...take us inside, too.

AJ said...

When you have time, that is!

Bill Garthright said...

OK, Ann, I posted some pictures of the inside here.

One of the nice things about Minecraft is that it's very easy to take pictures. Just press F1 to remove the clutter of the interface and F2 to take the screenshot.